Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Giving Thanks this Month

Since November is the month focused on gratitude and giving thanks, I thought I would give a little thanks on my blog. I saw on someones blog that they were going to say one thing they were thankful for each day this month. I thought it was a good idea, so I'm going to be a copy cat, except I'm going to blog about one person I am grateful for each day this month. There are so many people I am grateful for and that have made huge impacts on my life that I need to thank. I also think this will be a cool record for me to look back on someday.

Day 1:

I'm going to start with a very important Susan. Susan was my young woman's leader in high school and has made more of an impact on my life than I can even describe on my little blog.

Susan is one of those woman that gives everything she has to everything she does. Every week she prepared the most amazing lessons with examples and handouts and everything you could possible think of to teach us a certain gospel principle or virtue. She is a great mother, friend to many, hard worker, community volunteer, and example of a virtuous woman. She taught me so much each Sunday from her lessons and even more from the example she set in her daily life. She didn't treat me as one of the girls she taught at church each week, but as her friend. We talked about our lives, our accomplishments, and our worries together.

Not matter what was going on in Susan's life she was there to make a big deal about every single birthday of mine, there to cheer me up when I was sick, there to help me set up for student body elections, there to see me off to Prom, or cheer me on at my games. I could go on! Somehow Susan was my leader from the time I was 14-18 and was there for pretty much every big event in my life during those years.

I am grateful to Susan for teaching me to serve others, always, and with all you have. She taught me the importance of making sacrifices for those you love. I learned that faith in God can help you to overcome anything and lead you to becoming the person you hope to be. She reminded me of the value of having someone believe in you and the power that supplies.

Susan has not only helped shape the woman I have become, but she has helped shape the goal of the woman I want to become. Thank you, Susan.

5 comments:

Bell Family said...

Good idea. Look forward to reading your thankful posts :)

Rachel Elizabeth Holmes said...

i agree with you, Susan is like a second mother to everyone in her life! i love you jen! your one of my great examples!

Carly said...

Oh, I miss our YW leaders! I think of them from time to time and wonder if they know what an inspirations they were to us. I hope Susan can see this, and if she does, I love you too, Susan!

Nichelle said...

I am so happy you posted this. There are so many days I think of Susan and her smile and sweetness and wonder if she has any idea of the impact she made on every single one of us. I seldomly went to church then but Susan always made sure to stop by and see me, leave me goodies, write me notes, call me, and went above and beyond to make me feel so at home the few times I actually made it to church. I love you Susan! I am so grateful for your love!

Susan Wilcox said...

Dear Jenn,
Lindsey just send me a link to this post...I don't know how she found it, but I am so grateful that she did. I'm am so thankful and my heart is touched by your kind words, Jenn. Thank you. You have no idea how much you mean to me. As I look at my life, I recognize a great richness of blessings gained from serving with a valiant, amazing generation of Young Women of the Church. I cherish the time I was able to work with you, be your friend, learn from you, and mostly to share the love of the Savior for you, through my love. Although our lives have moved forward and taken us on different roads, I hope you know of my continued love and concern for you and your happiness. Wishing you Joy. Susan