Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Alchemist

This last month for our book club we read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. This book was all about achieving your "personal legend". Your personal legend is your mission in life, what you were sent here to do, your ultimate goal. I enjoyed reading about the adventures and trials the main character experienced as he tried to achieve his personal legend. The book talked a lot about listening to your surrounding, taking heed to omens (or answers to prayers) around you, but enjoying the process. There was a lot of text written about how we must listen to our hearts in order to achieve our ultimate goals. It said something to the effect that we must listen to our hearts because it always knows and always wins in the end.

This book definitely cause a lot of inner reflection. What is my personal legend and what am I doing to achieve it? Am I recognizing the omens around me? Am I truly listening to my heart? Am I brave enough to sacrifice for and achieve my personal legend?

I recommend the book if you haven't read it.

5 comments:

Scott and Laura said...

I loved this book!!! I know what you mean!

ej said...

Interesting. we read the Alchemist once in book club but it was so weird and kind of sci fi-ish and I knew it was supposed to be a classic but I couldn't conceive why this book was. Now I know...it was a different book that is the classic, lol. I am excited to read this one, it sounds good. I love books that make me reflect...

M. said...

It's been on my list ever since Laura read it... one day!

RuSty and LaLa said...

So I am not much of a reader, but I do like to play games. I thought when you said the Alchemist you were taliking about settlers. I lnow I am a big nerd but I love Settlers of Catan.

SO when are you coming to hawaii exactly and which Island. I live on Oahu on the North Shore and would love to see you!

The Crowley's said...

Jen,
how is the job search going?

Mike