Monday, February 2, 2009

I have a problem with the cheerleaders out here

Since Peter and I attend our fair share of high school sporting events out here, thanks to his sister Kim, I've also seen several different cheer leading squads. I've noticed a trend out here that there are lots of cheers geared around the school colors and I'll be honest, it's starting to bother me. I didn't come to cheer about the team colors, I came to cheer on a team. Here is an example of a half time cheer, with stunts and everything, that Kim's high school cheerleaders did on Saturday.

Give me a White. White.
Give me a Blue. Blue.
Put them together and what do you have?
GO White and Blue!

What kind of a cheer is that?! There is no mention to the high school or the mascot, the Falcon. No reference to the team or a victory. Even Offense or Defense. Now I realize I'm silly for even noticing, but I can't help it! Seriously, why are their cheers about the colors of the team? Why not cheer for the actual team, or school, or mascot or anything? I'd just like to hear a normal cheer that's all. Maybe I'll have to teach how we did it at TPHS. Haha.

And as a side note, the teams colors are orange, blue and white. They even forgot one of the major colors!

4 comments:

ej said...

Let's be honest- you wouldn't be happy unless they were cheering "Give me a K! Give me an I! Give me an M! Go Kim Bell!!!!!! lol :) You are absolutely right though. Why would you leave out orange and use white If you had to leave out a color? Stupid Cheers.

M. said...

soooo true! When we lived in D.C. when i was younger, i remember going to my brothers BB games. "Across the nation, the green, the gold the white. The Loudon Valley Vikings are... out of sight!"

I guess they at least give the school a shout out?!

Laina said...

I'm interested in hearing what your high school cheers were then b/c at mine they always cheer about the colors. BUT...they do also include the mascot (kinda a hard one to incorporate: The Conquistador) and the school name. El Camino. They always say camino this or camino that. But lots of talk ot blue too.

Nichelle Jensen said...

I'm so glad you noticed that and were annoyed. Most likely it's because you mastered the incredible V-shaped "Go, Fight, Win" cheer. Alternating ups and downs done in staggers with side and frontal facing; throwing V-arms up and hips out- that cheer always got my blood pumping. I still try to do it, it was so cool.