Thursday, November 6, 2008

Palm Springs Weekend

Two weekends ago I flew out to San Diego to attend a memorial services for my Uncle Lynn. Some of you may remember me posting about his death back in March. Anyway, my Grandma decided to have his memorial service at his home in Palm Springs and to bury his ashes there. As my Uncle Lynn was very dear to me (as well as my G'ma is) I just had to go, plus a weekend in Palm Springs is hard to pass up.

On Friday we did some shopping and preparing for the service the next day. And my G'parents treated us to a more than delicious dinner at Morton's Steakhouse. Of course we ate lots of junk food, played games and read celebrity magazines. Silly, I know, but we love it and so did my Uncle Lynn. That night as I was in bed on the couch I could here my sister and G'ma giggling in the other room and then my G'ma calls for me to come and play games with her. It was 3 o'clock in the morning, my time and I had been up even later the night before, but she didn't care. She kept insisting that I come play games with them. When I arrived I saw my sister and G'ma with forks in hand and a huge plate of fudge in front of them, giggling like little girls. We played Rummikub until we were all too tired to function. Rummikub is a family favorite!

The next day my siblings and I headed to the Saturday's market. I have so many fond childhood memories of going to this market with my Uncle Lynn and shopping away. See shopping for good deals and buying jewelry were some of my Uncle's favorite things to do. So in memory of him we lived it up!

The memorial service later that day was very special for all of us. We each spoke about what we loved about him and what we can't wait to do with him again. I was reminded of what a truly amazing man he is and all he has done to touch the lives of so many. We buried his ashes under his favorite grapefruit tree in his backyard.

I truly believe that he is happy now. That he is able to be reunited with loved ones who have passed before him. I also believe I will one day get to play rummikub with him again and laugh as he tries to cheat his way to victory. I believe that the relationships we make in this life pass beyond death and that families will be reunited and will be together forever.


Really this whole weekend was an amazing time to celebrate the life of a man we love dearly, but also a celebration of the family relationships we have now.

3 comments:

Rachel Elizabeth Holmes said...

AGHHH i am so mad i didnt go!!! I missed cso!! and gmas people's!! LOVE YOU

ej said...

What a cool post Jen. The picture of the 3am fudge and games with your Gma and Sister was awesome. And that pic of you with your sis and bro- how come your the only one who got the short gene? lol

Laina said...

Aww sounds like you guys had a great trip and really lived up his memory!