Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Libertad Ave

I just wanted to share the things I saw as I walked down the street the other day while going home. First, I saw something that resembled intestines. Yes, intestines. They must have been from some animal and they were just lying in the middle of the road, in fact, I had to divert my course in order to not step on it. Amidst the trash, spit (it's everywhere), and black fumes that consume the streets, I also saw animal carcases sitting on the sidewalk. There were several skinned heads and body parts of different animals just hanging out in a heap smothered with flies. As I was trying to recover from that image and hoping my stomach would settle down, there was a boy right in front of me throwing up in the middle of the sidewalk. Finally, as things settled and we were almost home, I saw a man walking down the street with a live chicken in his hand. He was just walking as if he were carrying a bag, no big deal.

So to say the least, it was another interesting day in Manila.

No comments: