Monday, May 28, 2007

Barangays

Barangays are similar to neighborhoods in the U.S. They are considered the lowest form of government in the Philippines. Each barangay has a captian elected to take care of their people and the situation of their community. Our organization works with four barangays in the community where our office resides and so we got a tour of these barangays the other day.

This experience was quite impactful and humbling. The homes are like huts stacked next to each other sharing walls and roofs. Many don't even have roofs or doors to protect them. Most homes are just one room and may have 14 people that live there. These homes often don't have running water or electricity. The streets are narrow, barely big enough for one car and filled with people bathing, sleeping and children playing. These families are so poor that often the children have to drop out of elementry school in order to try and find work to help support their families. Children often collect bottles, mothers will sell food on the streets while fathers try to earn money by giving rides to people on their bikes. Unfortunately, Pasay City (which is where we are located) is known for the sex and drug trafficking.

I could go on and on about the poor conditions these people experience while living in a huge city. As I walked through these barangays I was shocked into remembrance of the suffering that exists. I am so grateful for the many things and many opportunities I have been given. This experience has empowered me to:
- give thanks more often
- to be compassionate to all people in all circumstances
- and to spend my life working to improve the lives of others.

1 comment:

Flinders Family said...

I'm so glad you are doing this blog. I love seeing the pictures and the descriptions of everything because my brother is not very detailed and I'm so curious about the Philippines now! Can't wait to hear/see more!