Thursday, May 31, 2007

The American Giants

Soon after arriving in the Philippines I noticed that everyone was staring. I mean everyone! It's kind of a strange feeling. Anyway, I started wondering why they were all staring at us everywhere we went. Maybe they were surprised to see white people, maybe they thought we were crazy, maybe they thought we were cute, maybe they thought we weren't; I don't know. Yesterday I learned why. Dan, from the office, was sitting down at lunch with us and said, "We (I assume he meant the office, or perhaps the entire country) were wondering how you can eat so little and still be so big?" That's it! They are staring at the American giants. It's true, I am bigger (taller & fatter) than most men, women, and children here. Fun for me! As we road home on the train last night I looked around and realized it's true. The trains are really crowded and so we kind of have to push our way through the crowd to get off, well my roommate almost took out a woman just trying to get through. We couldn't stop laughing. It's hard being a giant.

1 comment:

M. said...

I felt the same way in Beijing... don't you love it?! ;)