Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mel Hutchins is my Grandpa

In February I was able to spend an unforgettable weekend in Utah. BYU retired the basketball jersey of my Grandpa, Mel Hutchins. He's kind of a big deal! He played in the early 1950's and helped lead the Cougars to their first national title. He then went on to have a successful career in the NBA. He still holds records at BYU and in the NBA; how cool is that?! Peter's Mom came to watch the kids so I could go celebrate this huge accomplishment with my family. Every child of my Grandpa's and every grandchild was there to celebrate this occasion with him and it was truly amazing. I felt very proud to be his granddaughter and so very proud to be a part of such an amazing and supportive family. We all have so much going on these days, it's been so long since we've all been together.

My G'pa is a very talented man, very humble, and so funny. We lived near him most of my life so I've been so lucky to be able to hear his stories and learn from him over the years.

walking to the center of the court
Hutchin's Jersey
I can't wait to take our kids their someday to show them his jersey hanging in the Marriott Center.
Is he?
We had these shirts made for all the grandchildren that said "Mel Hutchins is my Grandpa"
G'pa signing autographs
G'pa with all of his kids
The night before the celebrations at BYU all the cousins went bowling, had shakes at Dairy Keen, and had a CSO (cousin sleep over). CSO's are a long standing tradition on this side of the family, it was so fun to be able to just relax and enjoy the evening with my family. 
Danny and Ray

Fashion show with clothes from dress up closet
my nephew Connor and niece Lucy
my nephew Brendan

 Oh yeah, the morning before the BYU celebration my Uncle John and I did the polar bear plunge into Deer Creek Lake, it was so fun...... and cold. So invigorating though, I loved it!


Although the babes didn't get to go, they gave G'pa a little shout out with this photo.


We missed you G'ma!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

I loved the CSO idea, and the triplets in the Hutch shirts! Awesome that you get to be a part of such a great event. Way to go Grandpa Hutchins.