Monday, July 2, 2007

a bit of perspective

On Friday our French friends came to visit our organization and to discuss some volunteer opportunities. We had a fun time catching up with them and giving each other new travel tips. We decided to show them around the Barangays we work with. As we walked the streets I was reminded of the importance of the work I am doing here. These people are humble and hard working individuals. As I look into the faces of the children I want so badly to be able to offer them everything I have. I want so badly to whisper in their ear that everything will be okay and then bundle them up and take them home with me. Many of these children do not have an opportunity to obtain an education. Many of them work 16 hour days in order to survive. Other children, walk the streets begging or stealing whatever they can, sleeping in the train station, and sniffing glue to get a high. Many of the children you see in these pictures will be forced into the sex or drug industry, because that's all they know.


Friday started out really rough for me. I seemed to be frustrated by many things and found lots to complain about. But sure enough, God knew I needed a little lesson. As I walked around these Barangays He was able to gently show me that I needed to change my perspective. It's amazing to me how God (or whatever higher power or force you believe in) knows exactly what we need and then shows us. Gently or powerfully, He shows us.

No comments: